Monday, December 7, 2009

"dude cool were getting a boat!" (captain ron)

We bought the boat in March of 2008 and sailed it up in May 2008. Upon arriving in Ft Lauderdale the boat was in the new river canal. A full keel sailboat has no business being there with an amateur "full keel driver." Luckily two of the owners friends helped us move it to a city dock one of which had about 80,000 sea miles. I have handled many powerboats, a few sailboats, one engine and two. How difficult could this full keel thing be? So let me get this straight, when backing it will back in a circle, it will not turn, and can stop about as fast as a freight train. So in these tiny canals with 120-200ft yachts everywhere that cost anywhere from 10-100 million we are maneuvering our new home through drawbridges, tight turns, and other boats. So my dock assignment is between a new 118' azimut yacht and a 100' tour boat with about 60' of docking space against a concrete wall. Multiple attempts with wind coming off the dock and current pushing us out proves horrible. Oh yea and the drawbridge directly in front of the yacht in front of us. I beg the experienced guy to get us in there. He takes the wheel and after 3 failed attempts, the yacht crew comes out and "man handles" with lines, the boat safely to the dock. I become sick on my stomach and go below...

1 comment:

  1. 10 years later, I just bought Nefertari here in Charleston. I'd be very interested to know any history you have of where she's been, etc. If you read this, contact me at boatguy at leebelt.us

    Karl

    ReplyDelete